When Cowtown's fastest growing whiskey outfit opens a new distillery on Friday, it'll be at a 112-acre site that has more than a century of history. What was once Glen Garden Country Club now becoming the new home of Firestone & Robertson Distilling Co., and the distillers hope some of that golfing history lends itself to their new venture
★ News Archives ★
As Veteran’s Day approaches, the Texas Distilled Spirits Association thanks the men and women who have served our country and fought for our freedoms. Today, we would like to recognize those veterans that are now hardworking distillers, employees and operators of some of the best spirits in Texas.
Below is a list of distilleries that are owned, operated or employers of veterans.
- Witherspoon Distillery is veteran owned. Quentin Witherspoon and Ryan Dehart are both Marine veterans.
- Whitmeyer's Distilling Co., LLC is 100% veteran owned and operated. They hire veterans, current National Guard and reservists, and military spouses.
- Martin Greer Distillery is a veteran owned company. Robert Copeland, owner, served 24 years in the United States Army. Many of his years serving overseas were spent operating in combat zones. During that time, he served a total of 9 years overseas in locations such as Afghanistan (Awarded Bronze Star), Iraq (Awarded for Heroism by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Diplomatic Security), Haiti, Cuba, El Salvador, Honduras and many other places in between.
- Railean Distillery - Two employees are veterans - one Air Force and one Army servicemember. On November 11th they host their annual fundraiser which benefits several local charities including The American Legion Post 291 - collecting non-perishable food items, toys and gift cards, as well as raise funds to help those in need.
- Hill Country Distillers - One of the distillers is a retired Air Force servicemember.
“Distilleries, like many small businesses in Texas, pride ourselves in supporting, employing and giving back to those who have served our great country,” said Mike Cameron, TDSA President and owner of Devil’s River Whiskey. “Please take a moment to research, sip and share the great spirits distilled by veterans here in Texas. Remember 11/11 and please take the time to thank a veteran for their service, sacrifice and for protecting our great nation!”
AFT Distillery is a part of Austrian Farms of Texas LLC located in Luling Texas. We Produce small batch Premium Fruit Brandy (Edelbrand) that has been strictly made only in the Alps of Austria, Germany and Switzerland, for many centuries.Our Edelbrand is made not only from the juice, but the whole fruit with nothing else added. At the moment we have both Alpengold Apple and Pear Edelbrand, Cherry will be coming out the beginning of December. For further information please visit our website at aftdistillery.com
Texas-based Rebecca Creek Distillery plans to quadruple its production capability with the opening of a $7.5 million distillery in San Antonio.
The 55-year-old Texan, whose nickname is “Tito,” has earned a fortune with his eponymous vodka. His Austin, Texas-based company sold an estimated 45 million bottles of Tito's Handmade last year. It will likely sell about 58 million bottles this year, according to research firm Beverage Marketing Corporation
The Austin area has a burgeoning reputation as home for innovative alcoholic spirits.
But the city itself was without a whiskey distillery — at least since Prohibition — until recently. Still Austin Whiskey Co. opened in late September at The Yard, a creative commercial development on St. Elmo Road in South Austin.
Treaty Oak Distilling Ranch just recently celebrated its second anniversary, but the sprawling 28-acre facility in Dripping Springs is now running at full force with the recent opening of Ghost Hill restaurant, a casual communal space focusing on smoked mains, creative bar bites, and craft cocktails made from the brand’s stable of spirits.
With the Austin Winery, St. Elmo Brewing, Spokesman Coffee, and Soursop all within a few steps, South Austin’s The Yard has been a weekend destination for local foodies for months. Now, the development has added another feather to its cap with the opening of Still Austin Whiskey Co.
Martin Greer Distillery is a small craft distillery located in the city of Alvarado, Johnson County, Texas. It is the first "Legal" distillery in Johnson County since 1870. Martin Greer Distillery produces the only pure locally source Honey Mash Moonshine in the state of Texas. It also produces pure cane sugar Rum, as well a locally Texas sourced pure yellow corn and sugar Texas Whiskey aged and colored using heavy charred American Oak chips. Martin Greer Distillery has been in operation for one year, it has two distributors and is currently available in fifty plus stores across Texas. The most recent product to come along and available by partnering with a local Texas artisan chocolatier is the only Honey Mash Moonshine infused Chocolate in Texas. Martin Greer Distillery is open to the public for tours and tastings from 12p to 3p every Saturday.