Kentucky isn’t the only state in the U.S. making top-of-the-line whiskey. Texas may not have been doing it for as long as America’s bourbon bastion, but our proud state has proven that we can still hold our own against legacy producers — perhaps in part because the whiskey industry here is still so young and willing to be adventurous.
★ Recent News ★
Like St Elmo Brewing, Spokesman Coffee, and the other local businesses that call The Yard home, Still Austin Whiskey Co. is breaking the mold. By using fresh ingredients and creating clean, distinctive spirits, the first distillery within Austin city limits (since Prohibition) is making its presence known.
When Cowtown's fastest growing whiskey outfit opens a new distillery on Friday, it'll be at a 112-acre site that has more than a century of history. What was once Glen Garden Country Club now becoming the new home of Firestone & Robertson Distilling Co., and the distillers hope some of that golfing history lends itself to their new venture
As Veteran’s Day approaches, the Texas Distilled Spirits Association thanks the men and women who have served our country and fought for our freedoms. Today, we would like to recognize those veterans that are now hardworking distillers, employees and operators of some of the best spirits in Texas.
Below is a list of distilleries that are owned, operated or employers of veterans.
- Witherspoon Distillery is veteran owned. Quentin Witherspoon and Ryan Dehart are both Marine veterans.
- Whitmeyer's Distilling Co., LLC is 100% veteran owned and operated. They hire veterans, current National Guard and reservists, and military spouses.
- Martin Greer Distillery is a veteran owned company. Robert Copeland, owner, served 24 years in the United States Army. Many of his years serving overseas were spent operating in combat zones. During that time, he served a total of 9 years overseas in locations such as Afghanistan (Awarded Bronze Star), Iraq (Awarded for Heroism by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Diplomatic Security), Haiti, Cuba, El Salvador, Honduras and many other places in between.
- Railean Distillery - Two employees are veterans - one Air Force and one Army servicemember. On November 11th they host their annual fundraiser which benefits several local charities including The American Legion Post 291 - collecting non-perishable food items, toys and gift cards, as well as raise funds to help those in need.
- Hill Country Distillers - One of the distillers is a retired Air Force servicemember.
“Distilleries, like many small businesses in Texas, pride ourselves in supporting, employing and giving back to those who have served our great country,” said Mike Cameron, TDSA President and owner of Devil’s River Whiskey. “Please take a moment to research, sip and share the great spirits distilled by veterans here in Texas. Remember 11/11 and please take the time to thank a veteran for their service, sacrifice and for protecting our great nation!”
AFT Distillery is a part of Austrian Farms of Texas LLC located in Luling Texas. We Produce small batch Premium Fruit Brandy (Edelbrand) that has been strictly made only in the Alps of Austria, Germany and Switzerland, for many centuries.Our Edelbrand is made not only from the juice, but the whole fruit with nothing else added. At the moment we have both Alpengold Apple and Pear Edelbrand, Cherry will be coming out the beginning of December. For further information please visit our website at aftdistillery.com